Observation 4

Narrative Method
 Aim
           
The aim of my observation is to observe TC for a period of 15 minutes in order to assess her emotional development in narrative method.


Background

The place is a registered Childcare provider primarily run with Government funds.  Currently there are 100 children attending its services and employ 21 staff.  There are 2 employees through the CE Scheme and 2 TUS employees.  This Childcare provider run a Creche, Toddler Room, Junior Pre-school Room, 2 Pre-School rooms and a Montessori Room.  Also, it runs an Afterschool Club from 1:30 – to 5:30 which caters children from all local primary schools.  Children attending the Afterschool service have 1-hour supervised homework, assisted by the staff.  They also have a hot and home cooked dinner daily.  The Breakfast Club is open from 8:00 to 900 and is open to all school going children as well as children already attending the Childcare.

The toddler room is the next stage after creche and manned by 2 staff. There are 6 kids when I arrived ages 2 ½ to 3 ½ years old., colourful a lot of toys ready for the kids.  A pre-planned programme is in place each week to incorporates various activities such as painting, gluing, puzzles, stories and role-play.  The room is divided into different areas of interest where the children can choose an area they want to play.  Some of the areas are home corner, block area, messy area and quiet area. 

My observation starts at 2:45 and end at 3:00 in the afternoon 12th of December 2017.  I wave my hands to say hello and to everyone with a smile. TC is a male 2 years and 2 months old, wears a long blue dotted top matching his pants.   TC attended the facility from Monday to Friday and his mother collected him after work.  TC is a confident boy, always wear smile and always happy whoever his company.  TC loves to sing and be cuddled. Some of the children they just stared at me.  To make them comfortable, I use the same style when I was first do my observation to 3 - 4 four years olds kids.
Observation

TC left his toys, follow and stared at me smiling, with bare hands.  TC always smile, when I started to sing, he tries to sing as well and pick some of my words. TC always on my side sometimes pulling my hand.

TC sit on my lap white I grab a chair to sit down to write my observation.  TC tried to grab my pen and wants to write as well.  So, for few seconds I teach him how to hold the pen and draw a small circle.  This is a kind of activity I always did to children to get their attention, sing the “small circle, small circle, big circle” TC was watching and listening, try to grab my pen.  I hold his hand and teach him how to hold the pen, guided his hand to do the small circle thing.

On the other hand, a staff was preparing to make a dough and all kids sitting on the chairs watching and helping out, but TC has no interest, he still stands beside me.  TC hold my hands, I did same, after few seconds he lift his hand, a sign that he wants to be lifted and carry him.  I told TC, I can’t carry him since my knee since my knee was injured a year ago. 

The dough is ready for the kids to mould and play on, every kid got a portion and TC try to grab a small portion and put on his mouth.  I told TC not for eating, he immediately takes it out from his mouth, put on the table and I pick it up and throw in the bin.  TC did not join other kids that time, he still clung unto me.  He sits on my lap and playing the dough, I joined him and we make a snake and TC put some small sticks on it.

Two of the kids approach me and hold my hands, I let them hold and we form a circle, TC joined in and I sing “the more we get together the happier are we”.  TC enjoys as well as the others, while singing move forward and back raising and holding our hands.  They were happy and smiling and I clap my hands and they did do the same.

Evaluation

            My aim for this observation is to observe TC for 15 minutes to assess his emotional development in a narrative method. I feel that this aim was achieved very well as TC was observed very closely.

Emotional development is the development of the ability to recognise and deal with emotions in a positive, healthy and socially acceptable manner, including self-esteem and self-concept (Flood 2013).  TC was always looking happy, smiling and with a welcoming aura.

TC always hung unto me, hold my hand and sit on my lap. Babies and children need to be frequently and attentively held by their mothers because they are considered as security blanket, providing frequent and affectionate handling. This broadens to other people in the child’s world, but initially believed the mother to be the important figure. The concept of holding means not only physically holding the child but also anything the mother and family and the wider society do, to make the child feel secure and ‘held’. Winnicott observed that the “concept of holding” was absent from the lives of many children as termed “anti-social tendency”.  He believed that if children do not feel secure at home they will seek security elsewhere.  Thus, “… a child whose home fails to give a feeling of security looks outside his home for the four walls… looking to society instead of his own family or school to provide the stability he needs.” (Winnicott 1973)

TC approach, follow me, sit on my lap, happy and smiling, shows he is confident and sociable with a high self-esteem.  This is falls into attachment theory which is widely accepted as having great significance for healthy social and emotional development. 

Generally, TC is within the norm of his emotional development.







Recommendations

            I recommend that adults should keep an eye with TC especially in parks or market, because he tends to trust people even if a certain person is a stranger, for his safety.

            TC needs to develop other stages of development like social development, language because TC tends to hung unto a certain person he trusted.

Personal Learning


            I learned that babies and children need to be frequently and attentively held by their mothers because they are considered as security blanket, providing frequent and affectionate handling. This broadens to other people in the child’s world, but initially believed the mother to be the important figure. The concept of holding means not only physically holding the child but also anything the mother and family and the wider society do, to make the child feel secure and ‘held’. Winnicott observed that the “concept of holding” was absent from the lives of many children as termed “anti-social tendency”.  He believed that if children do not feel secure at home they will seek security elsewhere.  Thus, “… a child whose home fails to give a feeling of security looks outside his home for the four walls… looking to society instead of his own family or school to provide the stability he needs.”

I learned that some kids can trust a stranger like me and it shows their emotional development and social skills.
            
Reference


http://greenfieldschildcare.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment