Learner Record 3


Learner Record Entry 3
The importance of self-awareness and effective interpersonal skills in an ECCE setting showing evidence of the importance of on-going learning and training.

I am on my third module in Childcare Level 5, and I realise that this is an area where a childcare worker never stops learning.  It is important to be aware of oneself, reflect on own skills and talent and continue updating for professional development.  This will help to keep up to date with different standards, requirements and expectations that inspectors, staff, parents and children have.

Increasing Self-Awareness

            Part of my assignment is to keep a daily diary to record what I did in my placement in the ECCE setting dealing with staff and children.  I have to write down ways in which I could improve or extend an activity, whether it goes well or not, and plan for an activity that is in line with Aister and Siolta standard.

            In one of my activity, I consulted a staff member to do a paper star making, since it was difficult for children to do such, I suggested to change it.  I asked the staff what would be the best thing to do, she replied to let the child draw, decorate and cut their own star.  This showed team work and coordination with staff as well as with kids which help me to understand and link it to Aistear theme, which is exploring and thinking.

            I also learned to observed in different areas of child development which helped me to be aware of and knowledgeable.  For example, when carrying out a physical observation to a 10 months baby. That the gross motor skills of the baby were evident by using the large muscles to the body, lifted her whole body from sitting position by reaching and holding the top of the table.  I find it so interesting how they do things on their own, how to stop them if they are crying.  How staff feed all of them in one go.




Interpersonal Skills

            It is important to have a good interpersonal skill in an ECCE setting when dealing with different people with different personalities. Some skills that are essentials for this job includes;

·       Consultation and listening to staff, as a newbie there are some different messages needed to be interpreted.
·       Communication – learn the language of children and discuss issues to parents and staff concerning various issues affecting their children.
·       Assertive – as one needs to be sure about the work they are completing with children, the way they are doing it and why there are doing it.
·       Problem Solving and negotiating as children often need help solving arguments and need to be taught how to share and respect others.
·       Teamwork as staff need to collaborate with other staff members and share ideas with them to come up a goal and consider the best for child.

These skills help to motivate and encourage children and feeling of belongingness.  For example, when I was doing my observation in social development of the child, they showed their ability to interact with others and form friendship by exchanging words and sharing their materials. (Flood 2013) This link in theme of Identity and belonging where children develop a positive sense of who they are, and feeling that they are valued are respected as part of family and community by giving them a chance to express, a right to belong to the group and explore their own attitudes in relation to equality and diversity.

Another example when I do my education routine, since I have no experience in childcare, I talked to the staff and asked what routine do they do.  One girl was looking at me and I said hello to her, and asked her name and gave my name at the same time we shook hands.  Entering the room, I greeted them with a smile, “Hello good morning” waving my hands.  There are busy playing, one by one I shake hands with them. I sing a song to them, like “Hello, hello, hello, Hello how do you do, I’m glad to be with you and you and you and you.”  This will help the kids to be at ease to a stranger like me.   Another girl asked me, is your skin brown? She was curious, and I said yes, it is.  Another girl asked me, why are you here?  I replied with a smile, to do my assignment, because I am doing a course.  Thus, to get the attention and to help the kids to be at ease I need to use my skills by interacting with them through singing a children song and an action song.  I learned that children love singing and they will stop and listen if they will hear it the first time.

The importance of training and professional development

Childcare is a growing field where amendments are made all the time.  It is essential for all jobs in this day and age to do the Continuous professional development (CPD).  For the past number of years new research has proven the benefits of free play and different areas that relate to Aistear and Siolta.  Tusla inspect and they look if the setting incorporates these aspects into their setting.  In order to upskill in specific areas, childcare committees often hold a different workshops and courses for childcare workers, e.g. Aistear workshops and first aid courses.  It is important to be open to new ideas.

To all the childcare worker to be in control of, and manage situations that arise as they have the confidence and knowledge they need to pursue the CPD.  It will really benefit the childcare workers as they are considered more employable or may be favoured with regard to promotional opportunities within the workforce.  CPD not only benefits the childcare worker but also the setting where qualified practitioners are confident in their ability to carry out quality work and maintain best standard and practices.  Children provided with care, support and education that enhance their learning and development and establish foundations that the children can build and flourish throughout their school years and later in life. Parents feel more confident and secure leaving their children in the care of one who has undertaken training in the area.

I saw a good opportunity in this field, every time there is job offers in the local newspapers, particularly in Childcare facilities, they require 5 or 6 level in Childcare Course.  For me, there are few options I can choose to.  Firstly, one of my purpose is to work in the office.  As I have notice that even hiring an office worker, it requires a Level 5 or 6 in Childcare qualification. If I can’t get a job in an office environment, I can be a childminder, or Early Years Educator.  I am planning to go to the next level for me to be competitive and more so, meeting people and getting ideas are very good bonus. 



No comments:

Post a Comment